Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Art of Animal Character Design with David Colman (teaser)


(Drumroll puuuhhlllease)...
Well, many of you have been awaiting the debut of "The Art of Animal Character Design with David Colman". For those who are unaware it is a book I have been working on for quite some time about my practices, philosophies, and processes used when designing animal characters. It is a self published project to debut in winter of 2006/2007. I decided not to rush it for the San Diego Comic Con but felt it would be a good opportunity to promote the book. So, I went ahead and had a small "teaser" or "trailer" version printed to help advertise and give the fans a small taste of what is to come. It is called "The Art of Animal Character Design with David Colman_ The Little Brother Edition". A 36 page full color book about the size of most of the small sketchbooks on the market. Once again, just a preview, but a meal worth feasting upon. Only 150 copies were printed and it will be a Con Exclusive. The above piece is the wrap around cover for this teaser edition.

Cheers!

22 comments:

chia said...

oooooh! I'm looking forward to it! save me a copy of the teaser edition at con!

Hans said...

Hey David,

I like the new look. That must be the"Art of Animal Character Design with David Colman" you're reading there!;) I can't wait to see the complete version, it looks very promising judging from that beautiful elephant piece! Very cool composition and colors, as well as of course character design.
Thanks for your last comment on my blog btw, that was hilarious! but also helpful with some great suggestions for light sources, thanks again.

Have a great day,

Hans

Jayenti Collins said...

holy smokes man! that looks fan-flippin-tastic! as much as i don't want to i'll probably hold out until the bigger version comes out...i look forward to that day :)

Patrick Costa said...

Great idea David, I really like this piece too. Great colors and the elephant is awesome.

ivan godinez said...

amazing!!i just found another favorite artist !!!excellent...

Mattias said...

Very nice animals here, you can almost see them moving

Oliver Kurth said...

Wow, that's some nice picture! I really like the color palette and the hinted background. And the pose is quite special. The most wonderful elephant's backside I've seen for quite some time. Very fleshy.

Good look for your book. I'm looking forward to see more. The Teaser is quite promising ;)

By the way, had to draw a lot of pandas too recently ...

David Zweig said...

bout time ya posted dis!
you know i love it.
:D

Ryan Kramer said...

lookin' sweet! Can't hardly wait!!

UM said...

Very nice indeed. Looking forward to the book.

A. Riabovitchev said...

I like this piece very much!:O)

Alina Chau said...

This is awesome!! beautiful, love the dynamic pose of the elephant!

Angel said...

Dearest David!
What about those of us who will not be in the country for the con(running from the coreans, we are)??? Can I pre-order?

Cholki said...

Now why can't you draw like this in class?haha thanks for stoppin by the blog

Mark McDonnell said...

Beautiful man. Great quality of light and mood. Very nice man. You should be proud.

MAC

Mark said...

I love it man...great stuff. The color scheme is so soft an subtle. Top work! :)

Jafar said...

Great lights and wonderful mood! I'm looking forward to the book!

Good luck

Thomas Perkins said...

BADASS!

Alikins said...

Beautiful elephant! I love it! Wish I could be at the Comic Con to pick up the preview :( I guess I'll just have to wait for the complete version to hit the stands! Great work ~ can't wait! ;)

Dominic Bugatto said...

Really nice piece.

sock puppet said...

That's a niece piece, so if the skecthbook will be @san diego, what table or booth # are you at??

joto said...

A very inspiring piece of work.